Welcome all LME 518 students!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Newbery #1 Pictures of Hollis Woods

Pictures of Hollis Woods (2002)
written by Patricia Reilly Giff
Newbery Honor Book 2003
This was actually the first book I read for the reading blog assignment. I knew that this book had been made into a Hallmark movie a couple of years ago. I had never read the book, nor had I seen the movie. I am so glad that I chose this book to be one of my Newbery Award books because part of me could relate to the book in several ways.

Hollis is a twelve-year-old foster child running from a terrible accident that occurred in her last foster home. Upon being placed with Josie, her new foster parent, Hollis begins to understand what is means to have a family. Even though Josie is slowly beginning to forget important information such as phone numbers, school times and names, Hollis feels it is her job to protect Josie. When social services discovers Josie's memory loss, Hollis and Josie leave there home to find safety at the Regan's summer home.

The Regans were Hollis' last foster family, and after an accident leaving the son injured, Hollis felt she had caused the accident. She ran away from a family that wanted to adopt her and give her the family she always wanted.

As their supplies begin to diminish, Hollis head towards town to call Beatrice, Josie's sister. Little did Hollis know she would be reunited with Steven Regan, her foster brother. The end of the book finds Hollis back with the Regans, and Josie back with Beatrice. Hollis and Josie are still close enough to visit each other often.

My dad was adopted at 18 months old along with his two older brothers. Luckily, they were all adopted by the same family. While my dad was still very young, his older brothers remember being in foster homes. While reading this book, I felt a connection with Hollis after hearing all the stories from my dad and uncles. They always discuss a yearning to belong somewhere, and this is exactly how Hollis felt.

I ordered the Hallmark movie from Amazon.com and it was a wonderful as the book! If I ever teach an older grade, perhaps 5th grade, I would certainly share this book with my class. I read the book aloud to my mom, and she enjoyed it as much as I did. It is a must-read!

I would also like to read these titles by Patricia Reilly Giff:
  • Lily's Crossing
  • Maggie's Door
  • All the Way Home
  • The Legacy of Gloria Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment