Welcome all LME 518 students!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Book to Movie #2: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
written by Jodi Barrett
illustrated by Ron Barrett
I have never been so disappointed in a portrayal of a book. I was amazed at the difference between the book and the movie. I understand that some events needed to be added or changed for a theatrical experience. I was sad that the movie did not start with a grandfather telling a bedtime story to his grandchildren. That was always my favorite part of the book! I can see how a scientist was needed for the movie, and the character had his funny moments.

As I sat and stared at my computer screen at the end of the movie, I began thinking about the differences in the movie. For example, in the book the ending had the towns people building boats out of food (which was also in the movie); however, in the movie the towns people were able to return to the town and in the book they did not return to the town. This is one of those movies I wish had an "alternate ending" selection.

I am very critical because this was one of my favorite books as a child. I could almost recite it word for word! I was so excited when the movie came out and then astonished by the end. Since it was a picture book and not a chapter book, I agree that the story needed more "meat". I intend to continue loving the BOOK and I am so glad I did not purchase this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment