Welcome all LME 518 students!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Caldecott #1 A Sick Day for Amos McGee


A Sick Day for Amos McGee (2010)
written by Philip C. Stead
illustrated by Erin C. Stead
Caldecott Medal 2011

 A Sick Day for Amos McGee is a heartwarming tale of a zoo keeper and his certain animal friends at the zoo. I can certainly see why this book was awarded the 2011 Caldecott Award. The illustrations are simple, but you can't help but smile when you look at the pages (the elephant is especially wonderful!). The colors used by the illustrator, Erin E. Stead, are beautifully used in an understated manner. I believe this is what makes the illustrations pop off the page. Some picture books stories require the use of bright, vibrant colors to set the tone for the book. The colors used in this book made me feel relaxed and comforted. Since the book was about Amos McGee, the zoo keeper, becoming sick, I thought the colors used were very appropriate for the stories content. I had not previously read this book and I am glad that I have now. It has been added to my list of "Books to Buy" for my classroom library. I teach 2nd grade and this is a book they would snatch off the shelf. Amos's animal friends, the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the owl, and the rhinoceros are illustrated with such detail that I felt that would jump of the page! This is one of the reasons I know my students will enjoy the book. Not only is it grade level appropriate, but also the students can enjoy the illustrations. This story reminded me of when I was in the third grade and my best friend had the chicken pox. She was not at school for several days, and I felt lost without her. I asked my mom everyday when she would be back at school, and she tried to comfort me. She suggested that I send her pictures and letters in the mail because I could not go to her house because I had not yet had the chicken pox. I felt the same way the animals did when Amos McGee got the sniffles and could not come to work. I am interested in finding other titles illustrated by Erin E. Stead so that I can see if she uses the same technique in all her children's book illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment