Welcome all LME 518 students!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Caldecott #5 Moses: When Harriett Tubman Led Her People to Freedom

Moses:  When Harriet Tubam Led Her People To Freedom (2006)
Written by Carole Boston Weatherford
Illustrated by Kadir Nelson
Caldecott Honor 2007
I have read many books about Harriet Tubman throughout the years; however, this was the first time I had the privilege to read such an inspiring book. Illustrator, Kadir Nelson, has a way of making the reader feel as if they were right with Harriet in the book. All the illustrators used at the beginning of the book seem very dark, until Harriet reaches freedom in Philadelphia. It was amazing to me that she walked ninety miles from Maryland to Pennsylvania with only her will and the help of God. I had known Harriet was a spiritual woman, and the books I had previously read discussed this issue; however, this book is written in such a way, using bolded font for the voice of God, that I found myself flipping the pages as fast as I could. She then returned to help other slaves escape to freedom not just once, but nineteen times! Never once did she loose a passenger on the Underground Railroad. Not only was this book awarded a Caldecott Honor, but it also received a Coretta Scott King Award. I have always looked past skin color to see the real person, and I believe that is why I was drawn to this book. Even today, after slavery has ended, there is still so much racism that exists in the world for many cultures. This book shows the reader, especially me, that if Harriet Tubman can walk ninety miles for freedom, that my trials and tribulations no not seem so bad. I am not beaten on a daily basis, nor am I told to marry a man I do not love. Harriett Tubman is a wonderful example of perseverance and powerful role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment