Welcome all LME 518 students!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Diveristy Chapter Book: Deaf Child Crossing

Deaf Child Crossing (2002)
written by Marlee Matlin
Sign language has intrigued me since I took American Sign Language as my foreign language class during my undergraduate time at WKU. Spending an entire summer session with a professor who was deaf was a humbling and enchanting experience. Since then (summer of 2007), I have been continuing my sign language journey, and even incorporate it into my classroom. When I ran across the book, Deaf Child Crossing written by Marlee Matlin, I knew I had it was a must read! Some may know Marlee Matlin as an Academy Award Winner who is deaf. This book is written with pieces of her own childhood woven throughout.

The book stars around Megan and Cindy, two nine-year-old girls who are B.F.F.'s (best friends forever). Megan is deaf, but uses hearing aids that allow her to hear some very high pitched sounds. She is an extreme extrovert who never meets a stranger. Purple is the color of just about every item in her bedroom and closet. To top it all of, she has a dog named Apples who she taught to understand sign language. On the other hand, Cindy is quiet and reserved, a regular introvert. Shy and soft-spoken, the clutter and disorganization of Megan overwhelms her throughout the book. As any tow B.F.F.'s, Megan and Cindy have their ups and downs throughout the book. Both are able to learn from each other very valuable lessons and skills. Megan teaches Cindy how to sign and speak up for herself, while Cindy teaches Megan it's okay to ask for help and she is not always right. There are tears, laughter, and suspense felt by not only the characters, but also the reader!

I would suggest this is a must read for everyone in the education community. Many times I tend to think of diversity as culturally. This vibrant book reminds all of us that the deaf community does not see being deaf as a handicap, but does require extra patients, understanding and respect from hearing individuals. I have not had the pleasure of having a deaf student in my classroom. If the opportunity presents itself, I feel I will be more aware after reading this book from the view of a nine-year-old child. I intend for this to be one of the first books I share with my class next school year.

Marlee Matlin has written more books about deaf children, and I cannot wait to read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment